Sunday, November 29, 2009

A PLAY FOR DRAMA

Act One
Narrator: The famous Trillionare Brian Clain has died recently, leaving his grandson a choice of a trillion dollars if he opens a store. Right now we are in the office of Mr. Clain, and the lawyer is reading his testament.
Lawyer: (lawyer opens the envelope and starts) Well it is now time for me to read Mr.Clain’s testament:
Dear Steven,
You are the most useless person I have ever known. But, unfortunately you are my grandson, and there is nothing I can do to change that. So I have to give you my trillion dollars. But things won’t be that easy. Just imagine a useless person like you with so much money! It would be the end of the world! So I want you to start a store with my spare two million dollars. There is going to be one condition: your store must start out great, but then be known as the worst ever. As a result of this, you would have to close it up loosing all “your” money, giving me a reason to give you my trillion dollars. Don’t think you can get away with this; I will have my lawyer control all the money and your actions. You must succeed at doing this in three month, or else my lawyer will gladly take all of it (The lawyer give Steve a huge smile)
Please sign as I and my lawyer did under here:
X__________________ X_________________
X___________________________




Steve: What? Is he crazy? What am I suppose to do!?...
Lawyer: (still reading testament) I knew you would say that! , and no I am not crazy, but this will be funny!
Steve: What?
Narrator: Steve spent the whole night thinking about what store he would be worst at, and finally at about 4:30 A.M, he was able to rest in peace for he had found the perfect one! And the next morning…Steve decided to make a call to the lawyer about the idea he had spent the whole night thinking about.
Steve: I have the greatest plan ever!
Lawyer: OK, let me in to it!! (All sarcastic, and tired)
Steve: I decided that...
Lawyer: That…
Steve: That, I want to make a candy store!
Lawyer: Are you serious! (About to burst into laughter) Don’t you know that that is the number one thing kids and some adults love?
Steve: well think about it, if my announcement reeks, my candy stinks, my store smells and looks awful, and the stores name is Don’t Eat Those Candies Store, they won’t even want to walk in!
Lawyer: You do know that kids these days are attracted to the most inhuman things known to adults…
Steve: oh come on, just let me give me a chance, I am useless any way!
Lawyer: glad you admitted it, less problems for me now! Useless Steve (Beginning to laugh)
Steve: IS that a compliment?
Lawyer: (still laughing) I Think I am going to keep that money all right!
Narrator: Steve eventually got the spare two million dollars to start the businesses. First he started by renting a space for the store… so he called the lawyer after a period of time and…
Steve: Hey do you think you could find any cheap place in a bad neighborhood?
Lawyer: What type of question is that?
Steve: You should know! You’re a lawyer!
Lawyer: Well a layers job is not to find a renting place!
Steve: Well, your job was to help me or guide me! So can you find a place or not?
Lawyer: I might be able to find a place, but it won’t likely be in a bad neighborhood, and absolutely not cheap!
Steve: I don’t care, I can live with it
Lawyer: In that case, I think I know just the right place!
Narrator: The lawyer was secretly thinking to put Steve in a high class neighborhood
Lawyer: Oh, and you might want to make the prices higher! They will definitely hate that! (Giving a little chuckle)
Steve: Oh, thanks you are so helpful, contact me as soon as you find out if that space you talked about is available
(They both hang up at the same time.)

Narrator: Steve finally got the space. He definitely did not get the space in a lower class neighborhood; in fact he got a store in Manhattan, in Fifth Avenue! But let’s continue with the story. Steve had to buy some merchandise from his friend Marco, a terrible business man. So he decided to give Marcos a call.
(Steve dials the phone and Marco picks it up)
Marco: Hello?
Steve: Hey Marco, how you doing?
Marco: Ok, I don’t get much business
Steve: Great! Then I have a perfect idea to get you back into business!
Marco: Really what is it?
Steve: Well you may think this is crazy, but ever since my grandpa died weird things have been happening to me, so weird that I have to open up a store. (Steve takes a deep breathe) can you send me all the bad candy you had?
Marco: What do you mean? (Really confused)
Steve: You know! ... All the candy nobody would ever buy! (In a very uncomfortable tone)
Marco: Ok… I’ll pass by your place tomorrow with the catalogue I just finished
Steve: It’s a deal, I promise to buy a lot of stuff from you
Marcos: Yes!!!
(Both hang up)

Narrator: The next thing Steve needed to do was buy some decorations, create and hang ads up, and hire some workers. But first, he had to meet up with Marco to buy the merchandise.

(Marco enters the room, and Steve greets Marco)

Steve: Hey Marco Polo! Long time no see!
Marco: Yeah!
Steve: Back to business, did you bring the catalogue?
Marco: Of course I did!
(Marco takes out the catalogue from his bag and shows it to Steve)
Marco: So do you see any thing you like?
Steve: hmm... Let me see…
(They are both flipping pages)
Steve: Well I like this mouth coloring bubble gum…
Marco: MMHHm…
Steve: Oh, and this wooden jaw breaker…
Marco: MMH, wait, seriously?
(Steve nods his head)
Steve: And this one...And this one...
Marco: uh…..ohm...
Steve: See this one over here, it says strawberry and banana flavors
Marco: So
Steve: I don’t want it to be strawberry or banana, What about onion and garlic?
Marco: Eeeeeeww!
Steve: I’ll even pay you 4 times the price, come on!
Marco: OK (in a very happy tone)
Steve: I want strawberry and banana doodles instead of cheese doodles...
Marco: Sure thing! (Writing everything Steve wanted as fast as he could)
Steve: I wan candies that break, and stick to children’s teeth!
Marco: What? That will have to cost you a thousand more bucks!
Steve: Ok! No problem!
(Marco looked appalled)
Marco: This is going to loose my reputation
Steve: come on dude, be serious, you don’t have any reputation. I also want candy that looks like you have braces on, and candy that is super sticky in dry surfaces
Marco: Um... Sure
Steve: OK, so the last thing I want is a candy that has 5,000 calories!
Marco: So, I think we can have this ready in about one week
Steve: Perfect!
Marco: Thank you for believing in me man!
Steve: Don’t thank me; I had to choose the worst businesses man I knew
Marco: Whatever! Bye, see you in a week
Steve: Bye to you too!

Narrator: Steve ended up buying a lot more candy than he needed, but it was worth it. Now it was time for Steve to make some ads!
Steve: (calling out to his future workers) Hey you over there!
1: What me?
Steve: Yeah you! Do you think you could help me make some ads, I’m kind of stuck here, do you think you could help me?
1: yeah sure why not?
Steve: hey and you!
2: Me?
Steve: could you help me too?
2: cool! Sure
Narrator: His two future workers and he, made a terrible mess with the ads, but after all that was what they needed. Next step was to open the store…
END OF ACT ONE!!!



©Sofia Caraballo
2009

1 comment:

  1. Sé el trabajo que te llevo hacer esta obra de teatro, lamentablemente no se pudo presentar en un concurso, pero para mí eres la ganadora.

    ReplyDelete